I started blogging back when I was a freshman college student in 2011. There was really no significant reason why I’ve decided to put up my own blog. I wasn’t (really) inspired by anyone or anything; bc as far as I can remember I wasn’t really fond of reading blogs or online articles back then.
I remember putting up this WordPress site at the crack of dawn sometime in August 2011, few hours before I get ready for school. I don’t know what exactly came up to my mind that made me start this blog. One thing for sure was, I made this because I want(ed) to let my feelings out through writing (since I am not really a vocal person when it comes to expressing my own thoughts and sentiments). Also, I wanted to share with people some things about my life; life updates, current interests/obsessions and some other random stuff. If you are a constant visitor of mainemendoza.com then you certainly know that my page contains various blog entries; and that is because I blog what I want to blog, for this is my so-called haven.
After spending almost 4 years here in WordPress, I still consider myself as a “beginner” to some extent. Apparently, I still need to acquire more knowledge about this whole blogging thing. I used to blog about entirely just my life, but after some time I thought that my blog would be better if I talk about other stuff as well; some things that people can somehow relate to.
I am starting to think of ways on how to make my blog worth-browsing to the public (I am slowly working on it!)
Anyway, If you are not so knowledgeable about the world of blogging, let me tell you some things about it.. Firstly, you must know that there are various types of blogs on the web; and they are mainly categorized on the basis of the genre they belong to such as personal blogs (like mine), fashion/lifestyle blogs, business blogs and so on. Some people get paid to blog; either through advertising a product or constructing an article about a particular topic. (Freelance blogger/writer) I actually do not have an idea on how that works but anyway.. people have their own reasons/objective as to why they started out their blogs, but I believe their main purpose is to share and express their own selves though the art of “blogging”.
So I came up with 5 reasons why you should start your own blog TODAY.. or tomorrow, soon, whatever.
1. Blogging is a fun and a nice way to express your thoughts/views about a certain topic. It is always fun to share your thoughts about something, especially if what you’re going to say is engaging and undoubtedly notable. Someone out there might find your topic interesting and share their ideas with you, as well. Connecting to people in the virtual world and exchanging thoughts and ideas with them are effective and convenient!
2. As I have mentioned above, your blog is your OWN (safe) haven. Your blog is something that you could (and should!) consider as your OWN, because it actually is. It could even act as your CONFIDANT sometimes; someone you could share your thoughts with, let your feelings out to, CONFIDE in, etc. Some kind of a tool that you could use to “escape from reality”, you know what I mean? Some people use the Power of Writing as an aid to relieve grief/pain (when they are emotionally hurt). In fact, there is a scientific research showing that expressing your innermost thoughts and feelings can reduce stress (I’m not even kidding). It might not work for you, but it does work for others.. including me, at times.
And as Olive Penderghast have said, what better way to share your private thoughts than to broadcast them on the internet? True enough.
3. You can express yourself FREELY. Your blog does not have to be a journal, but it could be if you want to! You don’t always have to think of something entrancing to talk about. You could just simply write about how bad or good your day has been, simple as that. You are free to express your feelings and thoughts about ANYTHING; a topic of interest, a person you admire, your random thoughts, or your personal experiences– there are really no rules at all.
4. Blogging is a nice way to document your life. One of the things I like to blog about is.. well, my life, of course. What else is there to write about? I, most of the time, blog about how my life is going or what am I up to at the present time. It is actually nice to blog about your experiences in life; it’s nice to share with others what you’ve gone through and what you’ve learned from that certain experience. Again, that “experience” does not have to be intriguing as climbing the highest mountain in the world, touring the jungle, how you survived WWII (..what?) and such. It could be as simple as how you spent your summer vacation, or your how you celebrated your birthday, things like that. Also, it is a great way to record the experiences (through writing and photos) that we can look back on to reminisce. 🙂
5. Try new things! You might not be into writing or anything that links with blogging but there is nothing wrong with giving it a try! I know to myself that I suck at writing and that I struggle from conveying my thoughts into words at times but I don’t really see it as a problem; it even takes me a couple of days to finish a single blog post sometimes. My point is, it could really be a struggle for some but I guess that’s just how it is, you’ll have to figure out the best way for you to get the words out. You’ll get the hang of it eventually anyways.
But to tell you guys, blogging is a learning experience as well; you learn how to write, you learn how to express yourself in so many ways etc. More importantly through your own writing, you get to know yourself even more–and that (for me) is what blogging is all about.
Summing it all up, basically a blog is a place to say something. There is no wrong way to do it. So…. what are you waiting for?
Love me like you do. Chos.